I know that someday you'll find better things.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Yo

“Did everyone really say that back then? Instead of hi?” Hannah asked, as we watched a horrible sitcom called The Goldbergs the other night.

“Did everyone say what?” we both said, since we were somewhat confused (but mostly because we are big promoters of using antecedents in this house.)

“Yo!” Hannah replied, outwardly unperturbed. I did sense a mental eyeroll, though. I’m almost sure of it.

“No,” said Russ, at the exact time that I said, “Of course they did!”

“Well, it was kind of an eighties thing, but I think it was especially a Philadelphia thing,” explained Russ.

“Not true,” I said. “It was an everywhere thing. Even the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air said ‘Yo!’”

We all turned our attention back to the show, but I couldn’t concentrate. That infectious Fresh Prince theme song was now playing inside my head.

This is a story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air…

Suddenly Hannah gasped. “In West Philadelphia, born and raised!” she practically shouted.

Well, I guess we all had the dumb song stuck in our heads.

And even worse, it appeared that Russ was right again.

No comments:

Post a Comment