I know that someday you'll find better things.

Friday, December 20, 2013

WWYD?

"Write about what you would do if you could be invisible for a day," I read aloud from Mia's homework packet.

"I already did, Mom. See?"

She cleared her throat dramatically and began reading out loud, which was good because quite a few of the words had very... unusual... spellings.

"I would sneak candy. I would hide under a sheet and pretend to be a ghost. When Caleb is in his room on time out, I would tiptoe in and say," she changed her tone of voice to low and spooky, "'There is a god speaking to you-o-o-o-!' And while I was in there, I would change the time on the clock, just to confuse him. The end."

"Well, you have a lot of interesting thoughts here... I wasn't expecting quite so many naughty tricks. Good thing you aren't invisible."

I turned the page, expecting the math portion of the packet, but instead, we discovered a second lined sheet.

"Looks like your story was supposed to be longer," I told her.

"I have nothing else to say about the subject," she said, oh-so-matter-of-factly.

"Too bad for you, my dear. The expectation is for you to write more, so you'll need to think of something. Might I suggest something kind and helpful? Maybe you could use your power of invisibility to do something nice to surprise the family."

"Fine," she said, begrudgingly. 

Sighing, she began to write, saying each word as she wrote it. 

"And I would be helpful and surprise the family by getting the mail," she hunkered down over the paper, tightened her grip on the pencil, and in a barely audible voice added, "naked."

No comments:

Post a Comment