I know that someday you'll find better things.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Lasagna



I am always shocked by the heft of a homemade lasagna. Somehow the assembled recipe is far, far heavier than the sum of its parts should be.

I don’t make lasagnas often, but when I do, that unexpected heaviness never fails to impress me. 

How much does it weigh?

Sometimes I consider bringing the prepared lasagna upstairs to weigh myself with the lasagna and then again without the lasagna to try to determine the actual weight.

But bringing a prepared lasagna into the bathroom would be weird.

So then I think about bringing the bathroom scale down to the kitchen to weigh myself with the lasagna and then again without the lasagna.

But bringing a bathroom scale down to the kitchen would also be weird.

Even I realize that.

Weird AND inaccurate—after all, those Pyrex baking dishes are pretty heavy all by themselves. So I’d have to weigh myself with and without that, too, before even beginning to layer the lasagna ingredients.

To be completely honest, the main reason why this experiment has not yet been performed is because I never remember any of this until the very moment I hoist the lasagna from the counter to the oven.

And by then, of course, it is too late.

2 comments:

  1. But you're right, it IS a rather heavy food, is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, enchanting and well written! This is, by far, my favorite blog -- keep writing! xo

    ReplyDelete