I know that someday you'll find better things.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Not a Penny More

For ‘Type-A’ folks like me, there is a deep sense of self-satisfaction when you can coax the gas pump into finishing on an even dollar amount. Back in the good old days, that number was $18.00 or even $22.00.

It is with bitter resentment that I am now forced to celebrate a victory of an even $54.00 (or if I’m driving the Big Pig, $72.00.) $72.01 is significantly less special and not at all worthy of a split-second celebration for the perfect finish.

I’ve never attempted to apply this game to groceries. There are too many variables, too many opportunities for disappointment.

Today was different.
Today defied the odds.

Here is what I bought:

4 lbs of strawberries
3.39 lbs of Jonagold apples
2.13 lbs vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes
3.74 lbs of russet potatoes
2.99 lbs sweet potatoes
3.44 lbs yellow onions
3 limes
2 cucumbers
1 bunch of cilantro

The grand total? Exactly $20.00. Not a penny more!

“Wow,” said the cashier.
“Wow,” I said.
“Wow,” echoed the eaves-dropping customer in line behind me.

Today shall go down in the annals of history, at least for our family. And maybe for the cashier and the eavesdropper, both of whom genuinely seemed impressed.

Perhaps the Type-A community is larger than I’d thought.

I departed Sprouts with a helium happiness in my heart—the same sensation that happens when you try to do mundane tasks on your birthday and the whole time you’re feeling a bit more special. You know the feeling, don’t you?

Who would have thought that such joy could happen on an ordinary Tuesday in May, and all because the supermarket receipt landed precisely an even dollar amount.

And not a penny more.

I don't normally take pictures of receipts, but SOMEBODY accused me of exaggerating on this one.
I'm looking at you, Russ.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE when that happens!! I am type-A like that too; it drives me crazy when the gas pump goes over a cent, or God forbid, 3 cents! Yikes!
    Congratulations on your even $20, and a good amount you got for it, too! What are you making with all of those yummy, fresh things? Hungry just thinking about the possibilities... wondering sometimes why I'm not a vegetarian.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight was pork carnitas soft tacos with tomatillo salsa and guacamole (which Mia calls whack-a-mole-y) Spanish rice, and cucumber-tomato-onion vinaigrette salad. Tomorrow will be BBQ stuffed baked potatoes using tonight's extra pulled pork. There's a very good chance that Thursday will be pulled pork nachos. <3 Have you gotten your slow cooker yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Apples are after-school snacks and strawberries are dessert!)

    ReplyDelete