I know that someday you'll find better things.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Neighbors

          “I think I’ll have a bit of wine before I go meet the new neighbors. You know, to take the edge off. I can be so socially awkward,” I confided.
          “Careful not to overdo it,” Hannah said, “Remember what happened at the dentist? All that embarrassing stuff you rambled about? You were mortified afterward.”
          “Hannah! That was at 7 am. Did you think I’d been tipsy? Really? Unfortunately, I was just being myself.”
          “In that case, you probably should have a few glasses of something before you go. Just to take the edge off, of course.”


I haven’t had the best luck when meeting neighbors for the first time. Last fall while I was weeding in the front yard, a neighbor approached to introduce herself. We chatted in the morning sunshine for a while. She was very nice.

When I got back in the house, I passed a mirror and realized I had accidentally dribbled toothpaste down the front of my shirt earlier that morning. Not just a little bit, either. It was VERY noticeable. I was so embarrassed!

Would she think I was careless? Oblivious? Or even worse, a slob? Should I casually mention it next time our paths crossed, maybe with a witty and seemingly impromptu joke?

Then I remembered that I’d noticed that my new neighbor’s dress was on inside-out. At first I’d thought it was just that the tag had slipped out at the back neck, but nope. The tag and the seams were definitely on the outside.

She was probably standing in front of her mirror making the same realization.

I decided to forgive ourselves for both of us and forget worrying about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment