I know that someday you'll find better things.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Mixed Math

Right when I think I’ve got a hold on math, things get crazy. Consider, if you will, the concept of percentiles. I thought I understood it. If someone was in the 85th percentile for the SATs, it meant that he’d scored “as good as or better than” 85 out of 100 people who took the test. Easy-peasy, right?

When the pediatric nurse indicated on Mia’s two-week checkup records that she was 75th percentile for weight and 90th for height, I knew what was up. She was a big, healthy baby. Cool.

At her six-month checkup, when her data showed 90th percentile for weight and 95th for height, I was a bit surprised, but not shocked.

Her twelve-month checkup arrived.  When her weight registered at the 80th percentile, and the nurse recorded her height in the 100th percentile, I was completely flummoxed.

According to my understanding of percentiles, my child was “as tall as or taller than 100 out of 100 children.”

Clearly this meant that I was the parent of the tallest baby in the world. I wondered if the Guinness folks would be in touch. Should I contact the local newspaper?

How was this even mathematically possible?

Well, I still don’t know, to tell you the truth, but I did recently(ish) learn about an algebraic concept that might help in understanding this phenomenon. The concept is called “asymptote” and the vessel for this math-mcnugget was the book Drive by Daniel Pink.

Fascinating read about human motivation.
Definitely recommend it.

It’s my understanding that an asymptote is one of those things that approaches perfection—100%--but can never quite achieve it. The book references artist Paul Cezanne and athlete Tiger Woods and their lifelong pursuit of mastery in their respective talents. Both are humble enough to understand that no matter how good they get, there will always be an opportunity for improvement.

Looks like understanding math is going to be my mastery asymptote-quest in life. Certainly enough room for improvement in this area.

In the meanwhile, if you’ve got ten minutes and forty-eight seconds to spare, you might enjoy watching the RSA Animate (LOVE them!) video summarizing Daniel Pink’s studies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

No comments:

Post a Comment