I know that someday you'll find better things.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Snooze Angel

Just because it didn't make it into the Bill of Rights doesn't make it any less inalienable than life or liberty. When it's cold and rainy, hitting the snooze button definitely counts toward pursuing the American Dream.

Nine minutes can quickly become 27 minutes or even more if you accidentally turn off the alarm altogether, which is apparently what every member of my household did this morning.

Except for the one person who doesn't have an alarm clock.

So, my eight-year-old woke up on time, made herself breakfast, got herself dressed, roused the rest of the family, packed her backpack, made the lunches for the entire clan, brushed her teeth, combed her hair, donned a coat, and was ready and waiting by the door at 7:15.

I can attest to this, because that was the precise minute when I yanked on a shirt, raced down the stairs, uttered several apologies, mumbled a few profanities, apologized again, and observed the state of the situation from my state of panic.

"It's okay, Mom," she said cheerfully. "I took care of it."

And, in fact, she had. She really had.
I was shocked, and impressed, and very grateful, and I told her so as I gave her a huge hug.

"No problem," she said. Then, as gentle and loving as can be, she put her hand on my arm, gazed up into my eyes, and said,

"Mommy? Try to put some pants on today, okay?"

I probably would have anyway, but I especially did so in her honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment